Drug-Related Convictions Carry Severe Consequences
The consequences of drug crimes may change your life forever. You should not take them lightly. If convicted, even first-time offenders might face jail time, fines, probation and a criminal record.
If you are facing drug charges, an effective attorney can help in many possible ways, which may include having the case dismissed, helping you prepare the best possible case for trial or otherwise working to minimize the consequences of the charges. Not all cases have the same outcome. These procedures require a defense lawyer who can guide you and explain your options.
There are details specific to your case that need to be considered. The legal team at Allen Wellman McNew Harvey, LLP, has been defending client rights for over 100 years. We know how to advance a defense based on the facts.
Drug Charges Range From Misdemeanors To Felonies
Misdemeanor charges could be enhanced to felony charges, depending on various factors such as the type of drugs and the amount of drugs you had when you were arrested. It could also be a felony if you are charged with trafficking, intent to distribute, or if you are arrested with drugs within 1,000 feet of a school, a public housing complex or a youth center.
Possible Drug Charges Include:
- Possession of a narcotic or a controlled substance
- Possession of prescription pills
- Manufacturing, including possession of precursors
- Drug dealing/trafficking
- Marijuana possession
- Possession of drug paraphernalia
Aggressive Prosecution Requires A Skilled Defense
Indiana prosecutors are aggressive in drug cases. Prosecutors must prove critical elements of a criminal case, including:
- The search and seizure were legal: This can be complicated, especially if the State argues that there was probable cause that you committed a crime, or the situation justified a search without a warrant.
- That you were in possession of the drugs when you were arrested. This can include allegations of actual possession or a concept known as constructive possession.
- It was not entrapment: Police cannot encourage a suspect to commit a crime they would not have committed otherwise.
Your best defense against severe drug charges begins when you hire us.
How Can We Help You?
We are experienced trial law lawyers. We are prepared to take your case to trial if necessary, and we are experienced in negotiating a fair plea bargain, should you decide not to pursue a trial. Each case is unique. We cannot guarantee an outcome. Sometimes, given the right set of facts, we may be able to get you into a pretrial diversion program in order to avoid a conviction. Sometimes we are able to help reduce the charges to a lesser crime.
A Determined Team Of Trial Lawyers On Your Side
Our team is available to help clients throughout central Indiana from our Greenfield and Indianapolis offices. Call us at 866-958-6354 or email us. We offer a free consultation for those charged with criminal allegations.