Weekends By Appointment Only

Contact Us Today: 317-468-2355

Toll-Free: 866-958-6354

Photo of the Allen Wellman Harvey Keyes Cooley, LLP logo on the office building name board

Our Experience Matters

Since 1918, our full-service law firm has been getting results for our clients. We can do the same for you.

What to do If You Are Involved in an Indiana Motorcycle Accident

By:  Amy C. Van Ostrand

Now that the weather is warming up, Hoosiers are preparing to hit the wide open road on their motorcycles. One of the questions clients often ask us is, “If someone causes an accident while I’m driving my motorcycle, what should I do to protect my rights?” The answer is that there are several simple things you should do: First, call 911 for immediate medical attention, because even if you don’t think you’re hurt, you may be, and it will be important that your injuries were documented right after the collision.

Second, call police to the scene so that the circumstances of the collision are properly documented, and so you don’t face criminal charges for leaving the scene of an accident. Third, take down the names and phone numbers of any eyewitnesses. Fourth, take photos of your motorcycle and the other vehicle involved, along with skid marks and the roadway.

Fifth, do not talk to any insurance claims adjusters until you have first talked with any attorney, because adjusters are trained to take statements from you that will allow them to deny your claim, or pay you as little as possible. Sixth, talk with an experienced personal injury attorney who can help ensure that you’re compensated fairly.

If you’ve been hurt in a motorcycle accident, call the attorneys at Allen Wellman Harvey Keyes Cooley, LLP at 317-468-2355 to discuss how we can help you get all that you’re entitled to under Indiana Law.