Law firms in Indiana are essential businesses per our Governor’s stay at home order. We are thus open and working hard to help our clients with existing needs and all the new legal questions raised by this crisis. More information about our steps to address the COVID-19 crisis can be found HERE.

Weekends By Appointment Only


Contact Us Today: 317-468-2365


Toll-Free: 866-958-6354

How to request a child custody change in Indiana

When circumstances change in the years after a divorce, the original child custody plan may no longer fit your family’s needs. Either parent can request a custody change, and the court will consider this request and make a ruling. 

Learn more about the process of seeking a new Indiana parenting agreement. 

Best interests standard 

The parent requesting a custody change must prove that this change is in the child’s best interests and that one or more of these factors has significantly changed since the original agreement was reached: 

  • The wishes of one or both parents concerning child custody 
  • Evidence of family violence or neglect 
  • Child’s age 
  • Child’s ability to adjust to the custodial home, community and school 
  • Child’s wishes about his or her living situation 
  • Mental or physical health of the child or either parent 

If parents agree on the change, they must still request a change to the legal agreement. 

Gathering required evidence 

Indiana has a high standard of proof for child custody changes; the reasoning is that frequent household changes do not support a child’s adjustment and well-being. Therefore, you must have significant evidence of the best interests standard to successfully argue for a change in physical custody. Examples of evidence you can present in court include: 

  • Financial information, including pay stubs, health insurance information and other costs associated with raising the child 
  • Timeline of the changes that have resulted in the custody change request 
  • Reports and evaluations from the original custody decision 
  • Existing custody orders 
  • Police reports 
  • Medical records 
  • School records 
  • Personal witness testimony, either in person or written 
  • Correspondence with doctors, teachers, therapists and others who play a role in your child’s life 
  • Photographs, emails, text messages and video and audio recordings 
  • Journals that detail circumstances leading to the requested change 

To get started, you must submit a request to modify custody from the court that issued the original custody order. 


Findlaw Network